Southwest Side

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.78960°N / 119.43°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2-3
Sign the Climber's Log

Driving Approach

Follow the directions on the main page to the 4WD parking area.

Route Description

Hike up the old 4WD track to where it fades into oblivion. Where convenient, drop down to the left into the wash below, and gain the obvious ridge on your left. Follow this northeast-trending ridge up for about 3,000 vertical feet, passing through a few rock bands on the way. Some--if not all--of these can probably be bypassed in favour of class 1-2 hiking; however, if taken directly, you can find a number of interesting and enjoyable class 3 options. (Be cautious on the rock; although it's mostly good quality granite, some of the friction slabs lower down have some decomposing rock that's less than dependable). The ridge is a scenic hike with no serious brush or other obstacles.

The ridge eventually reaches a broad bowl; the named summit is obvious at this point thanks to the radio installation on the top. Cross the bowl and angle left up sagebrush slopes to the summit. The peak has two summits at opposite ends of a NW-SE trending ridge. The southeastern one is the named point on the 7.5' (and as of March 2004, it also held the register, although this may since have been relocated), but the northwestern one appears to be slightly higher. (Compare these two pictures from ScottyS, taken from the two competing highpoints).

Round trip stats for the hike are approximately 6 miles and 4,000 feet gain. Route finding is trivial, but you can consult this map if you have any doubts.

Essential Gear

None.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.