Standard Approach

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.42700°N / 106.6111°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Distance: approximately 3 miles one way.
Elevation gain: approximately 1000'
Time required: 1.5 hours up, 1 hour down

Starting at the trailhead near Dumont Lake (as described in the "Getting There" section), hike up the well worn double track trail. Follow this to the base of the towers or 'ears'.

Route Description


At the base of the ears, one can just enjoy the view, or attempt to climb the towers themselves.

I have not climbed the towers, but from my observations, the easiest way would most likely be on the west side of the west tower. There were old pieces of rope hanging here and evidence of the old ladder that used to ascend the tower.

Climb the weakness to the top. Descent is unknown; possible downclimb due to possible lack of anchors at top!

Essential Gear


If just hiking, standard Colorado hiking gear is recommended. A camera is also recommended, especially if the flowers are blooming.

If attempting the towers, bring a minimal rack. A set of nuts, half set of tri-cams, and maybe a few cams in addition to the soft rack (trad draws/runners/cordelettes). A 50 meter rope would be more than enough. I would highly recommend the use of 'screamers' due to the poor rock. The rock did not look like it would accept much gear let alone hold a significant load!



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.