standard from Cold Creek

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.35900°N / 115.746°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1-2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See main page.

Route Description


From the Bonanza Peak trailhead at Cold Creek, Bonanza Peak is the obvious heavily forested peak above you. You can’t miss it.

Follow the well-worn and easily followed trail for 4 miles or so as it winds its way up the mountain.

Eventually, you will reach the crest of the ridge above at a saddle. Bonanza Peak is to the south and Willow Peak is to the north. This saddle is a nice place for a break.

From the saddle, follow the trail to the south. The trail winds along the west slopes of the peak then begins a series of switchbacks upward.

When you reach the highest switchback (you’ll figure it out because the crest will be just a short distance above you), leave the trail (the trail continues on south and ultimately dumps you out many miles later at the junction of the Bonanza Trail and Bristlecone Trail, a short distance from the Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard Resort) and head upward over class 2 terrain to the crest.

The summit is only a short distance away to the south – it is tree-covered and marked with a cairn.

(Note: The mountain has two distinct "summits", though the south one is noticeably the higher one. They are separated by only a short amount of class 2 hiking.)


To descend, retrace your steps.

Roundtrip numbers are around 8-9 miles with approx. 2500 feet of gain.

Essential Gear


Late Spring / Summer / Fall - The usual hiking stuff. Temperatures in the higher elevations can be considerably cooler than in the Vegas valley to the south. Bring plenty of water.

Winter / early Spring – The usual cold weather hiking/climbing gear. Expect lots of snow.




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.