Standard Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.58050°N / 105.1991°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

During the summer, the trailhead may be reached with a high clearance four wheel drive vehicle. During the winter, you may walk from the turnoff at the Reintegration Center to the trailhead which will add four miles to the hike.

Route Description

From the trailhead, proceed northeast then north along an old logging road. The road will appear to fork near the first switchback, which is cairned. Take the road to the left, which is relatively well marked, and proceed to the saddle at approximately 10,605 feet, approximately 0.75 miles. From this point the climb begins up a sustained grade along the ridgeline through thick forest and downed timber. Route finding may be tricky at times but stay on the ridgeline. Shortly after the saddle, the trail becomes vague in a small rockfield. Bear to the left and look for downed timber rearranged to line the trail. In 2010, the trail has been somewhat improved and is generally well marked with cairns and occasional red square plastic tags on trees in the most difficult sections to follow.

After approximately 0.75 miles through the timber, the timber ends and the trail steepens on the rocks. Follow the short switchbacks to the alpine meadow. There is very little exposure on the ridgeline. Winds may be substantially higher and temperatures may be substantially colder above timberline.

After approximately 0.25 miles, the trail levels out into a small alpine meadow with dwarf trees, then steepens and switchbacks again for the final 0.25 miles to the summit. A small mound of rocks has been constructed and a wooden pole raised to denote the summit. There is also at least one wind shelter on the summit.

Essential Gear

During the summer, the temperature above timberline may be much lower than in the trees or in the valley. Be prepared for the cooler temperatures and higher winds as well as for the monsoon summer rains.

During the winter or early spring, snowshoes may be required for the approach. Crampons and an ice axe may be required during these times as well.  Northerly winds will load the trail above timberline with early season powder.

There are no technical sections on this climb. However, sturdy shoes or boots are recommended due to the loose rock above timberline.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.