Standard Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.18910°N / 116.0799°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike with minor scramble at end
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Moderate
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


In the town of Clark Fork (see how to get there on front page), turn north at the Chevron Station in Clark Fork Idaho. Go 1/2 mile to the fork in the road and then go right for another 2 miles to FSR #2294. Turn right and take FSR #2294 for another 1.4 miles to FSR #2294A. Turn left onto FSR #2294A and follow it a little less than 2 miles to the trailhead. The trail takes off right from a little parking area.

Route Description


It is 3 miles from the TH to the summit but in those three miles you gain 3700 feet. The trail takes off from the the parking area and is steep for the first 600 feet as you go up through forest. After 600 feet of elevation is gained, the trail then assumes a gentler grade and begins a series of switchbacks that actually make it easier so that the time it takes to get to the summit area go much faster. Excellent trail until the last 1/2 mile where you make your way through talus areas that have a well beaten use trail to guide you. Upon reaching the first peak, where an old fire lookout once stood and where you will also find the benchmark, you can look over and see the highest point about 150 feet away. Dropping down a bit off of the lookout peak, you then have a short scramble to achieve the highest spot of Scotchman Peak. A cairn sits atop the highest spot but no register of any kind was to be found when I was up there.

Summary: 6 miles round trip Elev. gain 3700 feet.

It took us about 2 1/2 hours up and 1 1/2 hours down but faster time can be made in dry conditions.


Essential Gear


Summer & Fall: Carry water as no streams are present on the route.
Spring: It is possible that an ice axe and crampons may prove helpful if snow is still present on the steeper parts of the trail.
Winter: Snowshoes and route finding skills.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.