Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 40.52300°N / 118.171°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 5, 2004
[img:67664:alignleft:medium:]
On the 4th of July I coaxed my 2WD car up to the 6,600' level of Star Peak and couldn't get any higher because I was losing traction on the loose rocks and dirt. I parked here at one of the switchbacks, and set my alarm for 3:00AM

I was up and ready to go in the "cool" air at 3:30AM. I put on my headlamp and headed up the road. Scott's trip report was right on the money and I was glad I couldn't drive any higher the evening before. I made good time and got to the 9097' saddle at first light. A couple dogs from a shepard's camp came down the road from the north and barked at me some, but left me alone when I turned cross country up the ridge.

An easy ascent up the ridge with no problems finding my way in the early light. Fantastic views from on top. The summit is past the new radio tower on the ridge. I signed the register and started back down. I posted a picture of a beautiful valley to the north of the road that deserves to be explored some day. I arrived back at the car by 8:00AM and headed on my way. In the middle of summer, an Alpine start is the only way to beat the heat in the Nevada desert.


Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Star PeakTrip Reports