Starr's Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.10310°N / 118.7191°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2-3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Follow the directions on the main page to Wanda Lake. Wanda Lake is most easily approached from one of the Bishop Creek area trailheads: North Lake (via Lamarck Col), South Lake (via Bishop Pass and Muir Pass), or Lake Sabrina (via Echo Col, Haeckel Col, or the Haeckel-Wallace saddle). From the outlet of Wanda Lake, head southwest over the low saddle west of the lake, aiming for the base of the north ridge of Peak 13,040+, the first peak east of Mt. Goddard along the Goddard Divide.

The north ridge of Peak 13,040+ can also be reached from the west by easy cross-country hiking from Davis Lake. Davis Lake can be reached from Goddard Canyon via North Goddard Creek..

Route Description

Climb the north ridge/buttress of Peak 13,040+ until it becomes very steep; an obvious, broad class 2 ledge is seen to the left above a permanent snowfield. Follow this ledge up to the crest of the Goddard Divide, and contour west over much loose, tedious talus to the summit of Mt. Goddard.

The steep lower portion of Peak 13,040+'s north ridge may be climbed directly from its base (class 3), or may be easily bypassed by a talus field to its right that will take you up to a flat area higher along the ridge (class 2, and the usual route). From that flat area, you'll likely find a series of ducks leading up to the aforementioned ledge.

There is much loose rock on the ridge, and some rock fall is almost unavoidable, especially on the descent. Secor rates the route as class 2, but without careful attention to route-finding it becomes class 3, as some register entries comment. The class 3 rock on the buttress is fairly solid, quite enjoyable, and a better option than the surrounding loose class 2 crud.

Essential Gear

None required.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.