Stinson Mountain Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.83330°N / 71.75°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

VIA STINSON MOUNTAIN TRAIL (1495'): From I-93, get off on Exit 26. Take NH 25 past shopping center. Stay right on the traffic circle and head toward Rumney. Past the first flashing light and take a right on the second flashing light (Stinson Lake Road). Go through the town of Rumney and continue to the foot of Stinson Lake (If you have the Stinson Lake General Store or Post Office you have gone too far). Take a right uphill for about 0.8 miles. Take another right on Doe Town Road where a sign points to Stinson Mountain. Go down the road 0.3 mile and the Stinson Mountain Trail will be on your left.



Route Description

From Stinson Mtn. (3/7/04)
 


The Stinson Mountain Trail is one of the easier hikes in the White Mountains. Though Stinson Mountain is one of the smaller mountains in the White Mountains, the views from the top are excellent on a clear day with many of the smaller mountains sixty miles away that can be seen from the summit. For the locals it is the perfect half-day trail hike, due to it's short distance and ease.

From the trailhead the trail begin at an easy grade in the distance a stream can be heard. The trail continues it's easy grade for the first 0.5 miles then slowly becomes more moderate of a grade. After passing a cellar hole on the left the hit the old tractor road (now snowmobile trail) at 0.9 miles. In early spring and winter Mt. Mooselauke can be seen between the trees.

From Stinson Mtn. (3/7/04)
Looking south towards Rumney


At 1.1 miles the trail will junction with the left side begin the tractor/snowmobile route and the right side being the trail. Take the right side. The trail will then ascent via a number of switchbacks to the top of Stinson Mountain where good views south and fair views north await.

Essential Gear

In summer nothing more is needed except essential hiking gear and water. In winter though snowshoes are well advised due to the deep snow that can be incountered on this mountain. Crampons may help during icy times but an ice axe is a waste on this mountain. Bring bug repellent in May and June for it is black fly season.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.