Stowe Pinnacle Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.43000°N / 72.651°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See the "Getting There" section of the Main Page for directions to the Stowe Pinnacle Trail. Parking is located on the east side of the road.

Route Description


The trail is 2.8 miles round trip and gains 1520 ft in elevation to reach the rocky summit.

The Stowe Pinnacle Trail is a narrow path leading through a meadow. It begins at the back of the parking lot. The trailhead is clearly marked and is identified by Blue Blazes. Trail closures and other news may be posted at the trailhead.

From the parking lot, Stowe Pinnacle is the shorter peak off to the right, the Worcester Range (Mts Hogback, Hunger and Worcester) are all visible as well.

Begin your hike by heading east from the back of the parking lot, crossing a field and overgrown pasture. Heavy trail maintance has been performed allowing hikers to avoid the often wet and muddy conditions. After leaving the open area you enter a forest of mixed hardwoods.

For the first .1 mile the trail climbs gradually, but quickly becomes steeper as you leave the "boardwalk" behind. The trail becomes rockier as well. You will continue to travel east to southeast as you climb to the summit.

Over the next .4 miles the trail becomes gradually steeper following a minor switchback-style path. The climb continues through hardwoods, which provide excellent color in the fall.

Over the next .3 miles the trail becomes steeper as you climb. The trail will go right (south) as you reach a plateau. Continue on the trail, scrambling over some rocks into a notch. A spur trail (Vista) joins your path from the North East. If you take the Vista trail you will be rewarded with a view of Mt. Mansfield.

From the main trail continue to head east -southeast as you begin to wind around Stowe Pinnacle. The trail begins to go down, losing approximatel 50 feet of elevation before you begin to climb again. The trail becomes rocky and the hardwoods give way to short Fir trees.

At 1.4 miles you reach a junction with the Ridge Trail, which will take you to the SkyLine trail allowing you to traverse the Worcester Range. To reach the Pinancle turn right and continue through a stunted forest of firs over exposed granite.

The summit is quickly reached with views of Mount Mansfield, Camel's Hump, the Worcester Range from Mt Hunger to Mt Elmore, and the Waterbury Reservoir.

Hike back down to your car following the same trail.

Essential Gear


Standard hiking attire required. Pinnacle is exposed and windy.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.