Struggling through December Challenges

Struggling through December Challenges

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 6.66145°N / 65.04281°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 30, 2015
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling

Introduction

Hiking is highly emotional for me, as hiking always brings out my emotions and it is highly emotional b/c it brings out a lot of pain for me to hike.  It brings out the emotional, spiritual and psychological pain of being fat, of all of my disappointments, of where i want to be but I am not yet, of the physical pain of fibromyalgia. Part of my ongoing frustration of my life is not being able to do what I love. I really hope to be able to make EastKing proud from working out and building up my strength and work out more. That means nutrition and changing my life in every way. This December I decided to fight this fight and head back into the mountains to fight of all of my pain and frustration away. I dedicated myself to making something of the worst month of the year. Here is how my December turned out.

BearQueen finds success
BearQueen finds success
Platts Lookout (12/2/15)

The hike started out with EastKing.  He knows of my physical limitations, so he often knows that drive up hikes are sometimes the easiest for me. We drove a few miles up a gravel road with some potholes, but not nearly as bad as some we have been on.

We walked up a very peaceful road and EastKing was remarking on how the hike was a sanctuary. This was relatively easy and well paved road walk for most of the way with the last section being a road that is quickly overgrowing.  That is when we hit the difficult part of the trail, where we had to maneuver up was once a trail in the 1950’s but has become grown over with trees and branches and forest.

Standard road walk to the summit
Standard road walk to the summit

I was pretty determined to make it up to the top, and fortunately,EastKing was patient enough with me to check on it and go to the summit. EastKing is always amazing to hike with.  He had to put up with me blowing off steam due to the unexpected bushwhacking.  I made it to the summit after EastKing advised me to go to the right part of the mountain so I went around that way.
The summit rocks
The summit rocks


Heading down was not must better with the race to get down before the sun set on us. It took us some time to get down from the scrambling and bushwhacking and I really struggled. I though did fought hard to keep my composure and we slowly were able to make it back to road. From there we went as fast as we could in order to make sure that we could beat the sundown. We finally made it back to the car literally right as full dark came upon us.

The view on a cloudy day
The victory view


BearQueen
BearQueen
Austin Hill (12/16/15)


We had such an amazing day of weather where we got to see some beautiful, amazing snow and hundreds of snow covered Evergreens that made it Christmas for me, but it was by no means too much snow.  It was chilly and nippy, but to me, it was not too cold either.
Our route
Our route

I was truly joyful to do this road walk with EastKing and to have a fairly simple hike (until we go tothe top) where I could actually really enjoy the snow.  As a heavy person, the road walks can be a nice welcome change, with a clearly paved trail, limited scrambling and ongoing switchbacks.  So, it was truly beautiful. As I walked up it, the snow was hitting just as I was walking up and it started hitting harder as we made it to the top.  When we got to the top, there was just a mild bushwhack to the  official top, which EastKing had already staked out and always does.  I was hoping for a view, and we might have had one if it had been sunny and open, but because it was cold and covered with snow, we had no view.

The gravel road with a fresh snow falling on it
The gravel road with a fresh snow falling on it

We got naturally cold later due to the dampness from the snow, and my legs hurt for days, b/c exerted a lot more energy than I thought I did, but it is always painful due to fibromyalgia and sleep apnea and some chronic pain.
On the summit.
On the summit.


My husband is very psychic about the weather (EastKing) and he had a feeling that we needed to get down right away.  I made better time down than I normally do which is a good sign, but I have gained weight overall, and have not made it into the gym due to stress from my job and some struggles with depression, so has been hard to make sure I get in there even for a half hour of cardio.  But if I can manage it, it makes such a huge difference with hiking.This mountain is worth doing just for the beautiful hike on the way up, and is an enchanting winter hike.
Snowy ferns
Snowy ferns


EastKing and BearQueen on the summit
EastKing and BearQueen on the summit
Galbraith Mountain (failed attempt 12/23/15; successful attempt 12/30/15)

As I am emerging from working at a toxic work environment and realizing that if I do not get serious about my weight this year to lose 100 pounds, it seems to have been harder for me to hike with EastKing. Through often not having enough money to get to places, and Greg losing a lot of hiking partners, it has been tough for both of us, but especially harder for Greg because he is the true passionate mountain climber.  However, all of that being said, even through a very tough and bad work environment and situation, we managed to do a trip and a hike to Bellingham to do Mount Galbraith.

It is funny...we went a couple of weeks ago and we were heading towards the entryway of the trail after parking and talking to a woman in her dog. Instead, we ended up going down a couple miles of a logging road before we realized that we were on the wrong road.  By that time, Greg, who is pretty psychic with the weather, had already predicted that the weather was going to be bad on the summit and urged that we go back, and we had already expended a fair amount of energy at that point.  

As we started the trail this time, we knew where it was, and where we were heading.  It was a very cold day, and we were bundled up inlayers, with it being the end of December.  I was fatigued and tired, and still battling with weight and not having gotten into a pattern of regular exercise, I struggled, with the cold, with my weight, and with my fibromyalgia.  However, EastKing is amazing at being loving and caring enough to pick these road-walks for me, and find these gems in the mountains for me, and Galbraith was truly beautiful the whole way up. Along the way, we met some great hikers.
Beautiful road
Beautiful road


As we were emerging into the snow and towards the summit, the bikers had told us and directed us on a way we could save time on the way down, so we followed him. I had a hard time with maneuvering through foot pain and fibromyalgia pain in my feet as well as maneuvering in the snowshoes on the way down...and it caused friction with me and Greg, but we worked through it.  Sometimes, any underlying issues or emotions that are happening when you start a hike have a way of coming out.  I was proud to have done a major summit in Whatcom County and so very grateful to have such an amazing husband who works with me despite me being almost disabled right now due to me being my highest weight and never giving up on me. I want to thank all of my readers and to thank you for all of your support over the years, and to tell you that I love you all, and I have not and will not give up on myself and that i am going to fight really hard this year. 

Beautiful snow
Beautiful view






Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
JoelSkok

JoelSkok - Jan 26, 2016 7:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Good for you Bear Queen!

Thanks for telling us how it is and inspiring us. None of us is above any challenge, nor do have enough gusto to do it all. Simple as that. 10/10 for your report

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Austin HillTrip Reports
 
Galbraith MountainTrip Reports