Sugarloaf Mountain Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 32.01420°N / 109.3248°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1 walk-up on a well-worn trail
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Sugarloaf Mountain trailhead is located near the end of a scenic 8 mile drive from the Chiricahua National Monument visitor’s center. This path was built by Depression-era Civilian Conservation Corps workers. Within the first quarter mile the hiker will encounter a tunnel blasted into the mountainside by the CCC. The trail is pleasant, smooth and easy to follow.

Length: 1.8 miles round-trip
Elevation Gain: 479 feet

Getting There

Chiricahua National Monument is located 120 miles southeast of Tucson and 240 miles from Phoenix. The nearby town of Willcox is 35 miles northwest of the monument.

Take I-10 east from Tucson to the first exit for Willcox. Travel 3 miles into town to the stoplight and turn right. Follow Arizona State Highway 186 for 32 miles to the junction of Arizona State Highway 181. Turn left and within 4 miles arrive at the Chiricahua entrance station.

From the visitor's center follow the Bonita Canyon Drive for approximately 7 miles. The turnoff for Sugarloaf/Echo Canyon will be on the driver's right. Proceed a short distance to the Sugarloaf Mountain Trailhead parking.

Route Description

Beginning on the east side of the mountain at 6,480 feet, the easy-to-follow trail winds its way around the mountain, often under lovely over-hanging cliffs. The trail heads westward for approximately 3/4 of a mile before turning sharply to the east-northeast to reach the summit.

After a brief excursion through tunnels of ruby-barked Manzanita the vegetation thins and the lookout tower comes into sight. The views from the top are wide-open and breathtaking.

Essential Gear

Hiking boots, sunscreen and plenty of water. Don't even think about leaving your camera in the truck.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.