Sunshine School Road

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 32.12400°N / 107.621°W
Additional Information Route Type: scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Drive south on NM 11 from Deming approx. 8 miles to Sunshine where the Sunshine School is on the west and Sunshine School Road crosses the hwy. Turn east and proceed approx. 1.5 miles until the dirt road enters BLM land. Continue on the road another 1.5 miles as the BLM road weaves through scrub but almost due east until reaching the base of the range. This approach is almost due center in the range. Where the road turns south along the ridge there is an abandoned rock house. You're as close to the base as the road goes so park off road and a prominent west ridge leads up to the main ridge. The same 4 wheel drive road used on approach circles the entire range but is truly four wheel and rough.

Route Description


There is no trail. Basic outdoor skills and the ability to read terrain are necessary. A two hour scramble can summit the main north to south ridge. There are good 50-100 ft. rock needles along the ridge worthy of technical climbing (not rated) which some locals do. Also, some locals attempt the entire South Florida ridge from south to north in a day (anecdotal reports only).

Essential Gear


Very loose and large rock and desert terraine with serious cactus. Summer climbing means good boots and lots of water; there is no water on the mountain. Remember the local humidity can be as low as four percent so dehydration can occur without notice. Also avoid hyponeutremia (too much water without proper salt/mineral balance). Sunscreen.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.