SW Platform

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 49.27000°N / 123.11°W
Additional Information Route Type: Difficult scramble with technical sections
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3-4
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


This is strictly info. for climbing the West Lion, the higher of the two summits. There are two approaches as detailed on the main page: the first is to drive through North Vancouver to the official trailhead (The Paul Binkert Trail) and the second and perhaps easier route is from the downhill ski parking lot at Cypress Bowl, along the Howe Sound Crest Trail, around the west side of Mt. Strachan and then up Unnecessary mountain where you will find the base of the East and West Lion. Each hike is anywhere from 7 to 10 hours depending on one's level of fitness so prepare for a long day.

Route Description


You can either use the fixed rope to lower yourself to the platform or you can downclimb... (The downclimb into the gap is around class 4). From there you traverse along a rock ledge moving to the east(class 3-4) to more managebale terrain and then it is an exposed but straightforward class III scramble to the summit through bushes and short rocky ledges along an obvious trail.

Essential Gear


This isn't a bolted route so a harness isn't really necessary. A chalk bag might be useful and if early or late in the season a single ice axe might be a good idea as well... as it is snow covered for much of the year. A helmet, gear for all weather and some sturdy boots or shoes is really all that is necessary.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

LionsRoutes