Taos Ski Valley/ Northeast ridge

Taos Ski Valley/ Northeast ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.56150°N / 105.446°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Lower: Class 1/ Upper: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Park at the Bull of the Woods trailhead parking lot at Taos Ski Valley.

Route Description

The Taos Ski Valley trail map is very useful to help you navigate this hike. There are a variety of routes to choose which will get you to the peak. This is the route I chose. Pass to the left of lift # 5. Turn left on the service road (Rubezahl ski run), At the fork in the road, stay to the right. A sign points left to Williams Lake. Pass under Kachina Lift (#4). Continue to follow the road (Lower Patton, and Winkelreid ski runs). Continue straight toward the bottom of Hunziker Bowl. the road ends here. The peak is visible from Hunziker Bowl. Continue hiking, scrambling, and climbing toward the peak. You will encounter steep rock ledges and loose rocks and boulders. If you are climbing with partners avoid getting above or below them, climb parallel routes. I had a few rocks and a very large boulder tumble a long way down. If you find a rope strung up the mountain you are at the eastern ski area boundry, stay to the right of this rope. Continue climbing until you can‘t climb no more. If you want to avoid the potential tumbling rocks, you can stay on the road to the top of the Kachina lift. From there you can climb to the ridge via Cabin Chute or Lift Shack Chute. The climb up Kachina from here should be easier as this is the skiers route. NOTE: I have not climbed this route so I don’t know what it’s like. (I believe the road follows these ski runs: Honeysuckle, Japanese Flag, Easy Trip to the top of the Kachina lift).
I did not descend Kachina Peak. I continued on to Lake Fork Peak and beyond. It took about 2.5 hours to reach the summit.

Essential Gear

Basic hiking shoes are sufficient for this climb. Looking back I should have worn a helmet and I should not have chosen to climb this route alone.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.