Teepee Mountain via Mount Stevens

Teepee Mountain via Mount Stevens

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 49.85330°N / 115.575°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Stevens is most commonly summited by people who are traversing over it on their way to Teepee Mountain, which is approximately another kilometre almost due north from Stevens. However, Mount Stevens is a great destination in its own right. For those carrying on, the summit of Stevens is a perfect place to stop and have lunch.

Although the hike up Mount Stevens and Teepee Mountain is certainly easier than the hike and scramble up Mount Fisher, it is still a fairly long and gruelling uphill slog to get there. The trail is in excellent condition, but does little in the way of switchbacks. For the most part, it relentlessly makes its way upwards through the forest of Douglas fir and the Canadian bunchberry found on the forest floor. Make sure to take lots of water, as none will be found along the way.

It is a 5.2km (3.25 mile) hike to the summit of Mount Stevens and a little more than 1km (0.6 miles) further to the summit of Teepee Mountain. The elevation gain for these hikes are 1350m (4435 feet) for Mount Stevens and 1500m (4900 feet) for Teepee Mountain.

The views from the top of both mountains are spectacular with an endless sea of Rocky Mountain peaks to the east and the Rocky Mountain Trench below you to the west. Along the entire distance of the 1600km (995 mile) long Rocky Mountain Trench, nowhere is it wider than in this area. It is approximately 30 km (18.6 miles) wide at this point. On the far side, one can see the Purcell Mountain Range.


Map of Area

Topo Map: 82 G/13


Route Description


See the “Getting There” section of the main pages of Mount Stevens or Teepee Mountain for information on getting to the trailhead.

From the parking area beside the “Mt. Stevens Trail” sign, the clearly worn trail makes its way upwards into the trees. Shortly after starting out, you will find a registration box. As mentioned previously, the trail relentlessly makes its way upwards through the forest of Douglas fir. Little in the way of switchbacks will slow your progress as you gain elevation. Finally, after gaining about 1000m (3300 feet) of elevation, the trees start to thin as you reach the subalpine. Continue to follow the trail which now leads you to the left/north and eventually to your first summit, the top of Mount Stevens. For those bound for Teepee mountain, the destination seems near. Continue north from Stevens' summit along the easily followed ridge/col joining the two mountains. Faint trails will be seen during this stretch. From the summit of Stevens, you will descend approximately 60m (200 feet) on you hike along the col before making the final 200m (650 feet) trudge up a well worn trail worn into the scree slopes of Teepee Mountain. The summit greets you with several cairns and incredible views in every direction. Return the same way you came up.






Essential Gear


Standard day hike gear
Proper hiking footwear
Warm clothes
Rain gear
Make sure to bring an adequate amount of water as none will be found along the way.

Also recommended:
Hiking poles
Bear spray







Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.