Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Bill Reed

Bill Reed - Aug 9, 2017 10:58 am - Hasn't voted

Was up there in 2012

Doesn't sound like you saw my TR - "Solitude Lake-A day in the life of two retired guys", before you went. I don't remember there being much of a trail, other than a piece here and a piece there. Amazing place, reached by one of the most intense bushacks I've ever done.
We didn't climb Thatchtop because I didn't think I had it in me. Got back to the TH completely trashed.

ronbco - Aug 14, 2017 12:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Was up there in 2012

Hi Bill,
Yes I had not noticed your trip report. I only looked for reports from the thatchtop page. I think we chatted for a few minutes on my trip. I was with my son (early 30s). Your picture looking down the trail was perfect. I hope that at least helps people find it going down. My pics I could not get to orient correctly in summitpost so I am not able to help as much for people looking for it on the way up. I found the trail going down to be not too bad; yes steep and yes some trees to go over/under, but compared to no trail at all going up it was a dream!
I stowed some lubrication for shelf lake after thatchtop and then some more at the creek crossing near the parking lot. It was marvelous.
You didn't miss much with the thatchtop summit. The views were of course a little better, but it was a bit hazy from all the moisture in the air and perhaps distant fires.

Cheers

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Thatchtop via a bushwhack and a gem of a lake' main page