Thatchtop via a bushwhack and a gem of a lake

Thatchtop via a bushwhack and a gem of a lake

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 4, 2017
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Add Heading Here


I write this trip report to help future hikers to avoid missing a key trail and throw a (hopefully subtle) light on a true gem of a high lake. Alas the pics I intended to include can't be oriented correctly for this report so you will have to use your imagination.

On the second matter first, I visited Lone Eagle cirque via Cascade Falls for the first time a few weeks ago after anticipating it for many years. I found it to indeed be one of the most beautiful places; perhaps exceeding Chicago Basin. Yet I now favor Shelf Lake because of its unique characteristic of having an inflow which is a broad set of, well, shelves of rock with waterfalls. The slabs are wide and level allowing one to explore the range of falls, with clumps of wildflowers framing them. In selecting this hike I was focusing on ascending Thatchtop from the south with no clue that this lake would be special. By contrast, the “word is out” on Mirror and Crater lake on the west side of IPWA. While the numbers of visitors does not detract from the beauty of those lakes or impair the amazing reflection of Lone Eagle, still it does not feel as special as Shelf Lake.

Now about that first matter, finding the trail. It branches off of Glacier creek to ascend 1k' to Shelf lake. But it is obviously not maintained or well marked, and easy to miss. The cost of not finding it is about an hour of bushwhacking up a very steep slope. To add to that challenge there are large rock walls you will need to address on the ascent. On the other hand if you find it you will have merely a steep trail, albeit with some downed trees and a bit hard to follow in places, which should take you only about 40 min with much less exertion.

My son and I were well prepared to find it. So how did we miss it? We had the route description, an app on my phone that showed our position on a topo map, and even a gpx file on his expensive running watch! Well here is my 20/20 hindsight on the matter. We were to look for an avalanche cleared area. Well, I think we did not start thinking about that soon enough after Jewel lake. I realized that if I had been looking up the east slope as well as the west slope I would have seen the clearing down that steep slope. Now to the second error in my ways. I was thinking that we’d clearly see Shelf creek coming from the west, and we were to stay on the north side. Well, topos are many years old in most cases, and creeks can be more or less prominent than when the map was made, or even change routes down a hillside. So we kept going until we started to see some small creeks coming down and my app showed we were near the creek as shown on the topo. Well....it turns out the trail is not next to a creek at all! When I read to stay on the north side I was thinking “side” like “next to”; wrong. Indeed we did not see a single prominent creek coming down anywhere, instead several small ones. The third “red herring” was the gpx file we were using, which showed the trail about where my app was showing the creek on the topo. Well I guess “your gps precision may vary”. In any case, I suppose we should hope the park does not work too hard on the trail or in a couple years the gem of a lake will be crowded. 

I might as well say a couple words about the south slope of Thatchtop from Solitude Lake. It’s 1100 feet vertical in a short distance and pretty much featureless. But the rocks are just the right size for easier travel than many steep slopes. They are solid and there are no patches of dirt to slip on. Of course there is a little bit of the usual false summit annoyance. But in an hour you can be on top. The awesome views of Spearhead, Longs, Pagoda, Chief’s Head, Arrowhead, McHenry’s, and Powell are the reward.

Enjoy!

And only tell your best friends about Shelf lake.



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Bill Reed

Bill Reed - Aug 9, 2017 10:58 am - Hasn't voted

Was up there in 2012

Doesn't sound like you saw my TR - "Solitude Lake-A day in the life of two retired guys", before you went. I don't remember there being much of a trail, other than a piece here and a piece there. Amazing place, reached by one of the most intense bushacks I've ever done.
We didn't climb Thatchtop because I didn't think I had it in me. Got back to the TH completely trashed.

ronbco - Aug 14, 2017 12:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Was up there in 2012

Hi Bill,
Yes I had not noticed your trip report. I only looked for reports from the thatchtop page. I think we chatted for a few minutes on my trip. I was with my son (early 30s). Your picture looking down the trail was perfect. I hope that at least helps people find it going down. My pics I could not get to orient correctly in summitpost so I am not able to help as much for people looking for it on the way up. I found the trail going down to be not too bad; yes steep and yes some trees to go over/under, but compared to no trail at all going up it was a dream!
I stowed some lubrication for shelf lake after thatchtop and then some more at the creek crossing near the parking lot. It was marvelous.
You didn't miss much with the thatchtop summit. The views were of course a little better, but it was a bit hazy from all the moisture in the air and perhaps distant fires.

Cheers

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

ThatchtopTrip Reports