The Crest Trail 103

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 31.39300°N / 110.292°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

From the trailhead at 7,400', start hiking south on the Carr Peak Trail 107. This good trail climbs steadily through the scenic forest. You'll be walking mostly through the trees during this stretch. Eventually, the trail heads around the east side of Carr Peak. After about 2.5 miles, you will reach the Carr Peak Trail 108 at about 8,900'. For those who are interested, the trail climbs 1/3 mile to the summit of the 9,237' high Carr Peak.

For Miller Peak, continue west on the trail as it gradually descends to the ridge between Miller and Carr Peaks. Once the trail reaches the ridge, it turns left and starts heading southeast towards Miller Peak. You are now on the Crest Trail 103. Once you get to the saddle between Carr and Miller Peaks, the trail descends east down Miller Canyon. The trail descends to about 8,540' before it meets up with the Miller Canyon Trail coming up from the east. Bathtub Spring is here.

Continue southeast on the Crest Trail as it starts its climb towards Miller Peak along the ridge crest. You might encounter Mexican immigrants in this area. As you approach the Miller Peak spur trail, you will probably start seeing garbage left behind by them. The people I've talked with said that they rarely cause problems with hikers. If you go your way, and leave them alone to go their way, there shouldn't be any problems. However, I wouldn't hike this trail alone. A group of several people would be safer. We saw three migrants on our hike, but they were pretty friendly to us. Once you reach the Miller Peak Trail 105 at 9,100', take a left and make the final push up the trail to the summit, where you can enjoy the views.


Hiking Distance: About 13 miles round trip.
Elevation Gain: About 3,000'.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.