The Greenhorn

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.71198°N / 118.53582°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Sign the Climber's Log

Vinegar Hill Diversion

The Greenhorn is a pinnacle rising off the east ridge of Vinegar Hill whose name was apparently taken from its horn shape and the prevalence of bright green Serpentine in and around the Greenhorn. Anyone making this hike will notice the abundant amounts of Serpentine along the ridgeline, a mineral that led pioneer era prospectors here in the 19th century in the search for gold. Along the alpine ridge there exists the remote possibility you may see mountain goats that have wondered over from the adjoining Elkhorn Mountains.

Below, the east ridge of Vinegar Hill and The Greenhorn rising off the side of it. It is roughly 1 mile from the summit of Vinegar Hill to the rock seen below


The Greenhorn can be reached with an easy 1.4 mile ridgewalk from the summit of Vinegar Hill, and is a nice diversionary hike if you drove up near the summit. Expect some boulder hopping and a little scrambling to reach the top of the rock. From Vinegar Hill proceed directly east through a shallow saddle and along the ridgeline circumnavigating boulder piles as needed. The walk is easy, and the climb at the end can be done with some class 3 scrambling. Like Vinegar there is a great view of the Elkhorn Mountains to the east, Dixie Butte to the south, and The Strawberry Mountains beyond.

The elevation gain here is negligible, this is nearly a lateral walk from Vinegar summit to The Greenhorn. For directions on where to start, refer to the Vinegar Hill getting there section.

Essential Gear

Maybe a little water, its pretty dry up here.
Map of Greenhorn Route



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.