The Harriskat Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.96880°N / 72.0365°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Shot of Monadnock from Skatutakee

Approach

VIA THE HARRIS CENTER: Take 123 west from Hancock, NH. About 2 miles down the road make a left on Hunts Pond Rd (sign marks the Harris Center). Make a left on Kings Highway. Parking will be just beyond the Harris Center, or (if you ask a Harris Center member) the Harris Center parking lot.

Route Description

The Harriskat Trail
1.5 mile one way
700 elevation gain



The Harriskat Trail is a very easy class 1 trail from the base to the summit. There is only slightly difficult area and that is near the summit of the mountain. With exception to the summit the entire trail is forested and shaded. For what I could see in winter there wasn't a reliable source of water. The trail can be done in all season and would make a great snowshoe hike. The only problem in winter is that the trail is marked in white rectangle which can be hard to see just after a snowstorm.

The trail begins by the Harris Center with is short moderate section of trail over a bluff. This section of trail soon levels the goes over a large level area and actually descend slightly. It then travel past a pair of boulder the trail then beginning the major part of the climb. Just after the trail begins is climb (0.5 miles from the Harris Center) The Thumb Down Trail will merge on the right. Stay on the trail marked with white disc. Roughly one mile into the climb you will notice a sign pointing to the Harris Center which is right at a sharp right turn. Take the sharp right turn. The will continue the moderate climb until reaching the only small steep section on the entire trail which is very close to the summit. Rise over this section and on the trail until reaching the summit cairn (5 ft. tall). There is a ledge on your left which features a great view of the Wapack Range and decent view of Mt. Monadnock.

Essential Gear

This is an easy class 1 trail. In summer, if you have good hiking boots and water, you can hike this mountain. In winter crampons, yaltraks, and or snowshoes are highly recommended. As with all mountains check weather before going. This mountain is not very popular in winter and often hikers in winter arre in the single digits the entire day.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.