The North Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.72700°N / 115.917°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

From the parking area at about 1,550-meters, Kingston Peak is hidden from view. Start hiking south along the primitive road. Those with high clearance vehicles can drive this stretch. Start up a small hill to a pass, then descend slightly into the desert flats. Continue south on the road. At some point, you will leave the road and start heading towards the mountain. Leave the road at an appropriate spot, and then start heading cross-country across the desert towards the mountains. At this point, you will see a small notch in the ridge directly in front of you. As you approach the mountains, start heading up the ravine that leads directly to the notch. Climb up the relatively steep ravine to reach the 2,030-meter notch. From here on out, there will be a lot of ups and downs.

Turn right, and start heading southwest up the slope. Continue climbing up to a saddle at 2,110-meters, then descend to another saddle at 2,060-meters. You'll get your first glimpse of Kingston Peak from here. You will also realize that you must descend again to a 2,010-meter notch. Descend to the notch, then start your traverse. The ridge crest goes up and down here all the way to Kingston Peak. Continue on to the 2,150-meter notch just north of Kingston Peak, then make the final push to the summit, where you can enjoy the desert views.


Hiking Distance: About 10 miles round trip from the main road.
Elevation Gain: About 3,800'.



Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
gimpilator

gimpilator - Jan 15, 2015 4:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Meters

Why are your route directions listed in meters? Are you from Canada?

Viewing: 1-1 of 1



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.