The North Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 31.35300°N / 110.725°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

From the parking area at about 5,960', walk south across the road just west of the cattle guard. There is also a barbed-wire fence here. You will immediately pick up an unmarked "trail" that is in surprisingly good condition. This trail essentially leads all the way to the top. Start hiking south up the trail on the north slopes of a 7,000' point. The trail goes around to the west side of the point, where you will reach a ridgeline at a 6,625' saddle. A barbed wire fence is here. Turn right on the trail, and follow the ridgeline and fence as it bends around to the southeast. You'll see Mount Washington for the first time here. This ridge goes up-and-down the entire way to Mount Washington. You will first reach Point 6,847'. You will then have to drop down 50' or so, then climb up to Point 7,211', locally known as "Veteran's Peak". There is a radio tower on top of Point 7,211'. You will then have to drop down again to a saddle at 6,750' just north of Mount Washington. Once at the saddle, make the final push to the forested summit, where there are no views.


Hiking Distance: 10 miles round trip.
Elevation Gain: 3,000'.



Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

Courteol - Nov 29, 2005 12:03 am - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

In 1989, I worked at the Santa Cruz School on Hwy 82, west of the Patagonia Mountains and Mt. Washington. As the sponsor of a hiking club, I began to work on the trail to Mt. Washington to use as a hike for the club. A few weeks project turned into years as I built the trail north and south of the road. (actually, improved, for it did exist, but in VERY poor conditon. Illegals, animals, and hunters keep it open) I pushed the trail gradually south to just south of the saddle between 7211 and Mt. Washington by the spring of 1993, when my life situation changed and I stopped, soon moving away from Nogales.
Also, as to "Veterans Peak," I left on its summit a plaque on December 7, 1991 , the 50th anniversary of Pearl Harbor on a snowy afternoon. Perhaps someone found this, and named the peak. Just a few little facts of history.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.