Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.10220°N / 108.73288°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5849 ft / 1783 m
Sign the Climber's Log

The Saddlehorn is a small "peak" by the monument headquarters and visitor center in Colorado National Monument. It is presumably named for its resemblance to a saddlehorn from certain perspectives. Because it only takes something like a minute to get to the top and the "climb" is maybe 50' tops, making a mountain page for this formation might seem unnecessary. However, the peak nice views of some of the monument's best scenery, including the Pipe Organ and Independence Monument, and climbing it is something quick and fun to do, especially with young children. A road winds around the Saddlehorn, giving access to a campground (Saddlehorn, the only one in the monument), a picnic area, and an amphitheater. While rock climbers could explore numerous one-pitch options to climb the Saddlehorn, getting up is really just as easy as a walk-up. Near the amphitheater is a break in the cliffs that comprise the sides of the formation, and some easy ramps and ledges lead to the top. This is Class 2 terrain. Up top, in addition to enjoying the views, take some time to check out the many interesting results of erosion at the cliffs' edges.




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.