Threading The Needle

Threading The Needle

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 54.47000°N / 3.27°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Scramble II
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


As per main page for the Napes Needle climb

Route Description


This is an easier route than the main climb on the Needle itself and gives general mountaineers to "play" in an area that you might think is traditionally only for climbers. The scenery is magnificent and once this route has been accomplished you can continue with something likes Sphinx Ridge, Eagles Nest Gully or just complete the Gable Traverse.

The route is a traverse of the gap between the Needle and Needle Ridge. Begin from the side away from "the balcony" (the lake side) and scramble up the rocks to the gap. Now enter the chimney and wriggle for all you're worth suppressing all thoughts of maintaining your dignity if someone is behind you! On reaching the op of the gap you will now have a magnificent view across to the balcony and off the needle itself. The descent is quite steep and a little awkward. Some may prefer to have a partner with a rope and be lowered, but it is quite do-able without a rope.

Essential Gear


A rope would be useful if a member of the party has any difficulty with the ascent, but competent scramblers will not require it.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.