Tibrogargan Summit Track

Tibrogargan Summit Track

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 26.92798°S / 152.94780°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Scramble
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The West Face Summit Track is the only practical route to the summit of Tibrogargan for the non-technical climber.

Although ascending the alternative East Face "Caves Route" is certainly possible, it is not recommended without being equipped with at least a rope, and getting off-route on the Caves Route is the most common cause of mountain rescue in the area.

The Summit Track ascends Tibrogargan's west flank.

Getting There

See The Tibrogargan main page for access to the mountain.

The route ascends from the western carpark.

Follow the "Tibrogargan" signs from the Glasshouse Mountains tourist route. In other words, turn west accross the railway line and continue for 3 km until you reach the Tibrogargan car park.





Route Description

Follow the Tibrogargan summit trail signs to the junction with the ring track (which circumnavigates the mountain) and then ascend past the summit trail sign up the switchback to the trailhead. Here you will be confronted with a 10metre cleft which you need to climb (hands on) to a rock platform.

From here the way up is obvious. The feet of thousands of your predecessors have scarred the rock a lighter colour. The first section above the platform is a little steep and confronting for many people, and it is advisable to rope up children for this section as a fall would almost certainly result in serious injury.

From above this initial section, it gets easier and the slope eases. Follow the well defined route to the west shoulder and then accross the ridge to the summit. The summit ridge section is almost level and is not exposed, but do not be tempted to blunder carelesly off the track, particularly to the right, as you are now above the 250metre "Celestial Wall" as the south face is known to rock climbers.

Do not allow children to wander around the summit area unsupervised as there are no guard rails and you are now above the 300 metre near-vertical east face.
A view up the lower section...

Essential Gear

Good hiking boots, or gym-shoes/joggers with a good "grippy" sole. A hardhat and a rope is advisable for the lower sections if you are taking small children.
Views to the north from the...

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.