Timberline Point via Highline Trail/Hacking Lake Trailhead

Timberline Point via Highline Trail/Hacking Lake Trailhead

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.75021°N / 109.79133°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The route below might be the easiest route to Timberline Point, but it is not the shortest. Most of the route stays above timberline, but there is a section of tedious logs to cross at the final saddle before the summit.

DescendingDescending Timberline Point on October 7 2012. 2012 was a drought year, so everything was dry looking.

Getting There

From near the center of Vernal along Highway 40, turn north at the sign for Maeser and follow the road north to 500 North. Turn west here and follow 500 North to 3500 West. Turn north here. There is a sign for Red Cloud Loop Road. Follow the Red Cloud Loop Road through Dry Canyon. If you have time, make sure to stop at the pictographs and petroglyphs along the way.

The road becomes a good gravel road at the Forest Service boundary. Follow the Red Cloud Loop all the way to a major junction with the road to Hacking Lake. A sign points the way to Hacking Lake, and follow the road to near Hacking Lake. Instead of turning left at the lake, follow the main road right and to its end. This is the trailhead.

Timberline PointTimberline Point as seen from near the trailhead.


Click for full size:

Route

Route Description

From the trailhead, follow the trail (old road) southwest and then south as it skirts the face of Leidy Peak. Just after a nice spring, you will reach a minor saddle.

Leave the trail here and head southeast along the ridge, passing over Points 11,138 and 11,130 along the way. There are some interesting cairns along this ridge which probably date back decades and were probably built by sheepherders.

From Point 11,130, head south to a minor saddle and then head southeast to the major saddle west of Timberline Point. The route is steep in places and there is much deadfall, but you will find yourself at the saddle after not too long.

From the saddle, the route to Timberline Point heads up the ridge to the ESE, but the ridge is indistinct at first and there is much deadfall. Once you reach timberline, the going is easy and it’s an easy stroll to the summit.

After enjoying the fine views, return the same way, but you can go around the highpoints of Points 11,130 and 11,138 if you wish.

The route is about 7 miles round trip and is rather easy except for the section of deadfall around the final saddle.

SummitThe flat summit of Timberline Point.

Essential Gear

A good pair of boots, map and compass (or GPS) are needed.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.