Treasure Creek-East Slopes

Treasure Creek-East Slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.36660°N / 106.6993°W
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There/When to Climb

Access to Treasure Creek can be accomplished at least two ways if approaching from the north.
From highway 160 on the east side of Wolf Creek Pass, take FR 390 to FR 380 and head south to Elwood Pass and continue to FR 243 and head west 2 miles to the TH at Treasure Creek.
Or,
From highway 160 on the west side of Wolf Creek Pass (Pagosa Springs side) take FR 667 to Elwood Pass, then take FR 380 south to FR 243 and head west 2 miles to the TH at Treasure Creek.

Southern Approach (from Summit Peak page by attm)
From Antonito, CO drive approximately 22 miles west on highway 17 and turn right on FR 250. Drive approximately 25 miles and then turn left on FR 380. Drive 3 miles and after passing Lake Annella, make a left turn on FR 243. Drive about 2 miles and park at the end of the road.

View of Montezuma Peak from "The Unicorn"

Keep in mind that the Forest Roads remain closed possibly into June. It is a good idea to contact the Forest Service to ask in advance.

Route Description

From the end of the road at Treasure Creek, head east following the creek (without crossing it). One can avoid the creek crossing at 11,400' if Summit Peak is not on the agenda. There are trails in the area, but expect to be off-trail, especially above treeline. Do your best to follow Treasure Creek up to about 11,800. There is another creek crossing at the top of Treasure Creek, albeit small, as one moves to attain the eastern slopes of "The Unicorn". Hike in a northwesterly direction, aiming for the saddle of Montezuma Peak and "The Unicorn" until arriving just east of the summit. Hike up grass and semi-loose scree near the top and enjoy the views. Reverse the route to the saddle where one can add Montezuma Peak (and more peaks to the north) or return to the TH.


Eastern Slopes of "The Unicorn"

Route Map



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.