True North Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

caverken - Feb 24, 2009 3:16 pm Date Climbed: Feb 20, 2009

Feb. Climb and Ski  Sucess!

Climbed and skied this route two consecutive days in Febuary. First day, followed directions from this post to find the slide. There is a much easier way to ascend this slide that will save you the hellacious bushwhack from in front of the Gothics North Face. When you turn off the Ore Brook Trail, following the first stream bed above the Ore Brook Lean-to, the stream bed splits a small distance above the trail. Follow the left branch, this will take you right to the base of the True North Slide. This ascent is also easier than the short feeder slide, which we found to be brushy and more difficult. No crampons were needed that day, but crampons should be on hand as I could see using them under different conditions. The second day, we skinned up the Wolf Jaw trail than followed the ridge over to the Gothics, then picked our way down to the top of the slide form above. Crampons definitely came in handy on this route are there were several icy pitches on the ridge that resisted other methods. Also, the brushy krumholtz on the ridge was a serious pain in the butt with skis on the pack. On both days the skiing was excellent. Leather boots, rivas and backcountry skis were a bit dicey on the windcrust at the top of the slide, left me wanting something a bit more aggressive. The middle and bottom on skiers left were excellent, knee to hip deep powder. Watch for ice bulges. Defnitely a good idea to hike it from the bottom the first time to view the hazards. Keep to the right midway down, the slide constricts in some brush, then opens up a bit more. At the bottom, just ski out the Brook and it takes you right to the Ore Bed Trail and an easy ski down to Peggy, etc ... Enjoy.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Return to 'True North' main page