Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 30, 0000
Activities Activities: Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring

Beginning of a three day ski journey

The trip started by dropping a shuttle about 3 miles south of I-80, close to an old mining town. We then drove to the old ski area of Mt Holly. Slept in the parking lot the first night and proceeded the next morning to the summit of Mt. Delano. Delano is the highest point in two counties.


Camp IThe Old Mt. Holly Lodge in the background


Near Mt. Delano SummitThe final push to the Summit of Delano

Thousands of feet and 12 hours or so later

We made the summit of Delano and were off looking for turn and a camp. The snow was good for travel so we were able to cover more ground than initially planned. Found a nice line of about 1500 vert to ski, it lead us to Blue Lake, nestled below a 3000 ft. line on Mt. Baldy.


Blue LakeRefilling water at Blue Lake


Ski line on Unnamed peakThe ski line too the lake, the line to the right is apparently a classic


Baldy at SunsetLooking at the next days goal, Mt. Baldy, from Camp II

Day 2

After a good night next to the lake, it was up and heading for Baldy. The ascent from the lake was close to 3000 ft. up what in the winter would be very dangerous avalanche slopes, but this day it was solid and easy traveling.

Nice RockBilly negotiating a steep section on Baldy




When we reached the 2k mark, the going became a bit tougher, snow was punchy and wet, se we opted for some sweet turns for a few laps.


Baldy Summit attemptStan leading, East face Baldy



Back to camp for out gear and off to find camp III

Heading to camp IIILooking back at the N side of Baldy, headed towards camp III, Belnap is skiers left.

Day 3

Day three was another clear calm day. After breakfast, waiting for the snow to warm a bit, we hear a helicopter. Soon there is a UHP helicopter circling us. Think they are maybe looking for some lost snowmobile riders, we continue packing, soon there are two SAR guys walking towards us from direction of the ridge. It turns out that they are looking for us! we later determined that there was some confusion about our return time.

Would be rescuersVisitors on the way



After clearing up the confusion, we are off on the last leg of the traverse.

Belnap and Baldy from the NorthLooking south at Belnap (Left) and Baldy (Right) just before the final descent to the I-70



The traverse was three days, and something like 12000 ft. with a few laps here and there. Couldn't have asked for better weather or company.

BelnapMt. Belnaps SE Face


NE Face of Mt. BaldyA good look at Mt. Baldy's N Face

Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Delano Peak (UT)Trip Reports