Twin Lakes Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.80990°N / 118.0748°W
Additional Information Route Type: Class 2 hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See the Getting There section of the main page to get to the Twin Lakes Trailhead.

Route Description

The trail follows the creek, first on the left then crosses over to the right and climbs up to the valley where Twin Lakes are. 3.1 miles to Twin Lakes and 2265 feet up. From Twin Lakes the trail zig zags up a bit right of Twin Lakes for 1 mile to the saddle and ends in a "T" intersection at the Elkhorn Crest Trail. Go right about 100 yards and then climb goat paths to the summit. You will want to stay to the right of the ridge crest. On the left side is steep scree frequented by goats and you don't want them spooked above you knocking down rocks.

The goats paths to the right are easy enough to follow through fairly open trees and grass. You could also go further south on the Elkhorn Crest Trail to pick up more grassy slopes to the summit but it is a lot more loose and tedious.

Total length is about 4.5 miles from the trailhead with 3530 feet of elevation gain.

Essential Gear

None needed.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.