Uli Biaho Tower, Karakoram, Pakistan

Uli Biaho Tower, Karakoram, Pakistan

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.74194°N / 76.14944°E
Additional Information County: Pakistan
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Big Wall
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 20043 ft / 6109 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Uli Biaho Towers, Karakoram, PakistanUli Biaho Tower

The Uli Biaho Tower (6109 m / 20043 f) is located at Uli Biaho Glacier & Trango Glacier, Karakoram Range, Baltistan, Pakistan. It was first climbed by the American Expedition team, John Roskelley, Bill Forrest, Kim Schmitz and Ron Kauk, in the Alpine style on July 3, 1979.

Getting There

From Islamabad, One can reach the Skardu, by air or by road via Karakoram highway. The daily air flights for Skardu-Islamabad is available subject to clear weather conditions. As for travel by road from Skardu to Islamabad, one can hire private car, van, jeep or bus on rental basis. The public transport buses, vans are also available.

A jeep able road links Skardu with Askole via Shigar Valley. The road from Skardu to Shigar town is paved. From Shigar the road climbs ever higher and the valley walls close in until you reach Askole (3048m), a narrow bowl of a valley no wider, it seems, than 4 or 5 kilometers, completely encircled by range of snow capped peaks reaching heights of more than 6000 meters, looking every minute as if they may fall over and crash down on this lost horizon. The land is sparse and the people hardy. Many worked as porters and supply trains of the major mountaineering and trekking expeditions, for Askole is the starting point for the assault on the mountains of Karakoram, Baltistan.

Askole Village (3048m), gateway to Baltoro Glacier, Karakoram, Baltistan.

At Askole you have to stay in a camp. The camping sites are available in Askole village and a camping fee is payable her depending on the size of the tents. Here you have to hire porters.

The trek beyond Askole enters the region of “The Greatest Museum of Shapes and Forms” as described by Fosco Maraini. The trek crosses unevenly over the dangerous moraine of the Biafo Glacier where it gathers Braldu Valley.
Uli Biaho Tower (6109-M)Uli Biaho Base Camp


After 8 kilometers trekking from Askole the trail crosses the tongue of the Biafo Glacier, which looks likes waves of snow and presents the feeling of a great storm throws ocean, swiftly immobilized. . After another 4 kilometers further one can reach Karofong camping ground, after which the trail follows up the Dumordo River for a shot cut, crossing a bridge to its east bank and continuing trekking along Biaho Lugnghpa, can reach Bardumal (3353m). Camping sites are available near the Chinkang River which meets the Biaho Lungpa. Hera one has to stay one night in tents. The distance from Askole to Budumal is 19 Kilometers.

From Burdumal (3353m), the trail is quite easy. The valley broaden and the trail ascend wide slopes from where one has the first views of Baltoro Glacier snout which is rock spotted, ugly and grey. Downward a little and following the Biaho Lunghpa, one can reach Payu (3368m). In Balti the Payu means Salt. This is traditional halt for porters and rest day. Here one has to stay in tent for overnight. The distance between Burdumal-Payu is about 15 kilometers.
Great Trango Towers


From paiyu 6/7 hours trekking, one can reach the base camp of Uli Biaho Tower.

Red Tape

The Uli Biaho Tower is located in specified Restricted Zone. Although the Peak is below 6500m and there is no need to obtain the Climbing permit and services of Liaison Officer. The only restriction is to obtain trekking permit from Government of Pakistan and hire the services of local tour operators. The trekking permit fee is 50 US$ per person. The validity of trekking permit is 30 days.

Camping

The Camping sites are available and a reasonable camping fee is payable.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Bruno

Bruno - Oct 17, 2011 6:52 am - Hasn't voted

Lat/Lon coordinates off

You give a location at 35.44310°N / 76.08580°E. Possibly you were meaning 35°44'31"N 76°08'58". In such case the correct decimal location for SP would be: 35.74194444 76.14944444. Cheers, Bruno

Afzal

Afzal - Oct 17, 2011 8:56 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Lat/Lon coordinates off

Thanks Bruno!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.