Valdelavilla and the Tierras Altas

Valdelavilla and the Tierras Altas

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

Valdelavilla

During June of 2007, I had the chance to travel to Spain for a volunteer program that teaches English to Spaniards (through immersion). The setting was a small village,Valdelavilla,in the Tierras Altas Mountain Range which is located in the Highlands of Soria, Spain.

Valdelavilla was at one time a thriving village until the Spanish government made attempts to stabilize the mountainside by planting pine trees. These pine trees consumed all the water supply forcing the people of Valdelavilla and neighboring villages to abandon their homes. Valdelavilla was later restored for tourism purposes-other villages were not.

Valdelavilla was nestled in the heart of the Tierra Altas, a beautiful range with gorgeous views, good hiking, and very few people. This is my album reflecting the area of Spain I visited. Unfortunately, I was not able to find much information about certain mountains and summits. I never saw any other hikers and I ran into very few locals. My one attempt to make a summit forced me to turn around due to to the unstable terrain. I did manage to capture some beautiful photos.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
StarMan

StarMan - Aug 28, 2007 9:44 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice!

great pictures.

Theonestar

Theonestar - Aug 28, 2007 9:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice!

thanks, it was an awesome trip!! I can't wait to get back to Spain to explore more.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.