Viados-Puerto de Chistau

Viados-Puerto de Chistau

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.66426°N / 0.43671°E
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Difficulty: F.sup. / P.D.inf.
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 2
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

It's the shorter route to the summit if you spend the night in the refuge of Viados the previous day.

Getting There

See main page.

Route Description

Signal to Puerto Chistausignal

You begin in the refuge of Viadós descending to the small valley between ridge of Señal (left, normal route to Bachimala) and Espadas-Posets. The path goes always in left side of the river of the Pleta de Añes Cruces until the cross path with signals. In this point you cross the river Añes cruces turning to right (in left side is the route to Collado de Añes Cruces but you go to Puerto de Chistau).

The path goes in the right side of a new small valley following the paint in the stones until the wide Puerto de Chistau (it’s always evident in front of you). In this point you connect with the route from Refugio de Estós.

Ridge of VeteranosSketch of ridge

You turn to right in direction to the ridge. It’s not difficult but it’s the harder part of the route of the peak with rock-climbing of F.sup. (I+). The ridge hasn't a good rock but it’s easy in general. The ridge is exposed and it’s not advisable climbing with rain of snow. After a few of sections of rock you reach the first fore-summit (3,034m), a peak without name, walking in direction to the Punta Blanca (3,114m) with its characteristic white colour. The ridge is very easy but you must have a lot of attention to find the best path, generally in right side. After Punta Blanca (3,114m) the ridge is wide and you reach walking the summit of Pico de los Veteranos (3,125m).

Posets and Gemelos RavierPosets and Gemelos

Continuing to Pico de los Gemelos Ravier (3,125m)

Almost all the mountaineers follow to Pico de los Gemelos Ravier because you need 1h more to reach its summit and for this reason I don’t write a new route for this peak. Crossing the summit of Veteranos is almost necessary to go to Gemelos. I think is better having all the information in the same route but I’ll write a page about every peak because both are important.

You descent from the summit of Veteranos (3,125m) and you need generally the use of the hands (F) but it’s not really a rock-climbing. The best part is always in right side of the ridge. In some point you discover small coulouirs of stone to descent to the valley between the peaks if you prefer walking faster but you will need to going up a few of meters more but if you have fog it’s not a good idea because the reference of the ridge is easier to follow.

In the bottom of the peak you must walk to right side searching a small coulouir of stones and scree to reach a shoulder turning to left to enter in the ridge in the best point. The last part is a easy walk-up to the summit just over the Brecha Carrivé that separate us from Posets. It's not only the summit because I think it's a wild and curious place of Pyrenees that deserve a visit.

And Posets?


Well, I write a normal route that I think is nice and interesting for the "medium" mountaineers but continuing to Posets is dangerous and hard and it needs of the use of a rope except for rock-climbers with experience. The descent to brecha (gap) is graduated as III (but you can to try a rapel of 30m). The rock-climbing from Brecha Carrivé is II+ with bad rock. The rope is newly advisable to reach the fore-summit. After that the ridge is easy. The descent is across the route of Posets from Viados (F.sup.)

Essential Gear

Early in spring you can need crampons and ice-axe to reach Puerto de Chistau. In Spring the ridge generally don't has snow but if it has snow is very dangerous and you will need rope and a few of strings and carabineers.. but it's not a good idea rock-climbing with snow.

External Links

No... for the moment.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.