Viniegras-valle de Urbión (North)

Viniegras-valle de Urbión (North)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.01130°N / 2.8784°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.0 (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: F
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Urbión and Laguna de UrbiónLaguna de Urbión
Urbión from Laguna de UrbiónLaguna de Urbión

It's a long but nice route to climb Urbión across the nice Laguna de Urbión.

The normal route goes across the valley reaching Laguna de Urbión after 4h and climbing after that across the collado de las Tablas de la Ley between Camperón and Peñas Claras. The total will be probably more than 9 or 10h

Getting There

Signal to lake of UrbiónSignal in parking

The access to the valley of Urbión is in Trambosrios, in the middle of the road between Viniegra de Abajo and Viniegra de Arriba at South of Logroño.


See bigger map

Route Description

Foz de UrbiónFoz de Urbión
UrbiónUrbión

In the small parking of Trambosrios (1,020m) you see the signal "Laguna de Urbión 4h" and you follow the paint of the route always in left side of the river until a nice waterfall. In this place you cross between two ridges of rock cutted vertically to reach the hermitage of San Millán (1,112m).

The route goes across 4 refuges always following the paint and you must be careful to discover the bridges that you need to cross and the bridges without paint that you don't need to cross. It's very easy but you must have a little of attention. You reach a confuse area and the river is narrow but you walk always in right side of the river trying to find paint and cairns to recah finally the plain where is the Laguna (lake) of Urbión. The lake is in left side but you turn to left side searching cairns to walk in zig-zag to the important col between the rocky Peñas Claras (left) and the rounded Camperón (right). In the collado de las Tablas de la Ley (2,076m) you can climb in a few of minutes to right side the interesting summit of Camperón (2,093m) with nice view. You return to col walking in dirction to right side of the ridge of Peñas Claras (2,161m) reaching the summit across its North face. You continue walking in right side of the edge descending a little bit before to turn to left side to reach the summit of Pico Urbión (2,229m) (6h). The descent is across the same route if you don't have another vehicle in Laguna Negra.

Essential Gear

Early Spring you can need the use of crampons and ice-axe. In winter is always necessary the use of crampons but the route is not always safe because has risk of avalanches afer a big snowfall. You must wait a little time after a big snowfall to walk with security.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

UrbiónRoutes