Volcán Poaz

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 10.20000°N / 84.2°W
Additional Information Route Type: Short hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Most people visit Volcan Poaz on a guided tour from San Jose. Since every hotel and hostel in the country will book a tour to Poaz, there's little reason to list any of the tour companies!

Volcan Poaz can also be visited independently. Public transport is available to the crater daily. A bus leaves (about $3 one way) from Avenida 2, Calle 11 and Calle 12 at 8:30AM. The bus returns at 2:30PM.

Butterfly seen on the slopes...Butterfly seen on the slopes of Volcan Poaz.

Route Description

The hike is very easy. From the visitor center, simply follow the paved trail through the lush forest for 0.5 km to the crater rim. There are many interesting plants with huge leaves along the way. From there, you will have an incredible view into the 300 meter deep/1.5 km wide crater. The crater walls are very colorful as is the blue-green lake (colored by copper ore and sulphur). Hopefully the weather will be clear on your visit!



Essential Gear

Rain gear, a jacket, and a camera. That's about it!


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.