Waipi'o Valley, Hawaii

Waipi'o Valley, Hawaii

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Scenery

Waipi'o Valley Overview

Waipio Valley
Waipio BeachWaipi'o Beach
Waipio Valley
Though it is a valley, the Waipi'o Valley along the Big Island's northern coast is a spectacular sight to see, even if you only go as far as the scenic overlook at the end of Route 240. To get down into the valley, you must go down a steep 25% grade, one lane road and there are steep fines for those that don't heed the warnings of taking vehicles down into the valley that don't have the capacity to get back out.

This valley was important to the early years of Hawaiians and was heavily populated at one time and was also the breadbasket of the island. In more recent history (1946) a tsunami hit the valley and wiped out most everything. Today about 50 folks live in the valley and taro farms dot the floor.
Waipio Valley
Waipio Valley

Hi'ilawe Falls

Hi ilawe FallsHi'ilawe Falls
Waipio Valley

Hi'ilawe Falls is 1450' high with a free fall of 1200', the highest on the island. We did not hike to them but understand there are trails to them.

Horseback riding in Waipi'o Valley

Waipio Valley
Waipio Valley
[img:283616:alignleft:small:]
It's an awesome way to tour the valley. The people that run the stables shuttled us down the hill and brought us back up. It was my first time riding on a horse--it was nerve wracking yet exciting too. The horse I rode was so good. Didn't mind being toward end of the line. (click on the pics for a better look)

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.