Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Mar 13, 2014

Mount Pilchuck from Siberia Mountain
Mount Pilchuck from Siberia Mountain

When I woke up Thursday morning, the weather outside showed the telltale signs of the classic Puget Sound temperature inversion - low stratus and fog hanging over Lake Stevens, and a temperature of 37 degrees. Figuring it would be an excellent day to bust out of the inversion layer into some warm mountain air, and inspired by EastKing's recent page, I set my sights on Siberia Mountain. Siberia Mountain is always one of the first high points to melt out in my neck of the woods, so I figured the roads would be suitable for the mountain bike. Sure enough, the warm rains of March had cleared out February's snows, and this ride would prove to be almost snow free. The weather on the Mountain Loop was perfect, and by the time I reached 1000', I was down to shorts and t-shirt. It had been a few years since I had been to Siberia Mountain's southwest summit area, so at 1800', I broke left off the route to the main summit and began heading that way. 

I would like to point out that there are numerous roads heading in all different directions in this area - there is really no 'correct' way to go anywhere (for my ride to the southwest summit, I knew of at least five possible route variations for approaching it). I have included a map below that shows some of the roads in this area, but by no means should this be considered a 'route map'. I would encourage anyone heading into this area for the first time to bring a Google Earth or Google Maps print of the area, as most of the roads in this area are not shown on USGS maps. 


A few of Siberia Mountain's uncharted roads
A few of Siberia Mountain's uncharted roads


Where you decide to go, and how you decide to get there, is really up to you. I like to explore around on Google Earth a bit before heading to the 'Masonic Park Trailhead'. By looking at the 3D views of the hills, you can pick recently logged areas that appear to have good views, and make a plan for getting there. Or, if you are more adventurous, you can just take off on your bike, make random turns on different roads, and see where they take you. On this particular day, I ended up on a rocky promontory located at N48 08.232 W121 59.550 (Elev. 1990') that provided an expansive west view from Mount Rainier to Mount Baker. Views of the Puget Sound area and South Fork Stilliguamish were very nice from this point.


West pano from Siberia Mountain SW summit area
West pano from Siberia Mountain SW summit area

Jordan Road and swinging bridge from Siberia Mountain
Jordan Road and 'Swinging Bridge' from Siberia Mountain

Three Fingers and Olo Mountain from Siberia Mountain
Three Fingers and Olo Mountain from Siberia Mountain

On my way back to the car, I decided to visit Siberia Mountain's main summit area, as it has a nice viewpoint just northeast of the true summit. On the way there, I stopped at the gravel quarry located at about 2000' - here there is a nice view to the southeast.


Southeast pano from Siberia Mountain
Southeast pano from Siberia Mountain

Arriving near the top of Siberia Mountain's main summit, I took the well defined logging spur to the right, which I followed 0.3 miles to the east viewpoint (N48 09.508 W121 56.722 Elev. 2160'). From this point the east view is expansive, from Mount Baker to Mount Rainier.


East pano from Siberia Mountain
East pano from Siberia Mountain. The heavily logged area on the left is the summit of Blue Mountain.

Whitehorse and Bullon from Siberia Mountain
Whitehorse and Bullon from Siberia Mountain


There are many other viewpoints and bodies of water to explore in this area - one of my favorites is Mud Lake (not muddy, by the way). On a hot summer weekday, this is a great place to ride to if you want your own private lake. Mud Lake is an easy ride from the 'Masonic Park Trailhead', or if you need more exercise, you can ride the long way around from the north end of Siberia Mountain. Please do not be tempted to continue to Twin Lakes - this is part of the Jim Creek Navy Recreational Area, and they are pretty serious about keeping civilians out.


Floating on Mud Lake at the base of Siberia Mountain
Floating on Mud Lake at the base of Siberia Mountain

Another nice spot to visit if you have the time is the King Lake Overlook (N48 09.106 W122 00.656 Elev. 1200' - not shown on map). Getting to it is a little more involved, and it will add another 500' of elevation gain on the way out. If you decide to visit this location, use extreme caution approaching the cliff edge, as there is several hundred feet of exposure in spots.

King Lake Overlook on Siberia Mountain
King Lake Overlook on Siberia Mountain



Update: I took a drive up Jordan Road today (3-17-14), and was pleased to discover that the 'Russian Road Trailhead' is again available for use (this gate was covered with 'No Trespassing' signs for years). This will eliminate some distance and elevation gain for those exploring the west side of Siberia Mountain. To get to this 'trailhead', follow the Jordan Road north from Granite Falls. Two miles past the South Fork Stillaguamish bridge, turn right onto Russian Road, and follow it to the gate in just under one mile. At this point, you will be near the small lake at the bottom left corner of the topo map above.

'Russian Road Trailhead' for Siberia Mountain
'Russian Road Trailhead' for Siberia Mountain

Southwest pano from Siberia Mountain
Southwest pano from Siberia Mountain. Granite Falls on left side of photo, 'Russian Road Trailhead' at bottom center.     Photo taken at  N48 07.404 W121 58.441



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Siberia MountainTrip Reports