Waterfalls of Unaka Mountain

Waterfalls of Unaka Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Water

The Waterfalls of Unaka Mountain

Red Fork FallsRed Fork
Some parts of the Southern Appalachians have a geology that is not conducive to the creation and longevity of waterfalls. For instance, the Great Smoky Mountains,for all of their beauty and diversity, have an obvious lack of waterfalls. But some parts of the southern Appalachians are packed cheek by jowl with waterfalls of every size and volume.

So it was with my visit to Unaka Mountain on the border where eastern
Unnamed Cascade on Rock CreekCascade.
Tennessee meets western North Carolina. This area is covered in waterfalls of every size. There are so many waterfalls in this part of the Apps that many go without names and many remain unmentioned in any guidebooks or trail maps.

When I was camping there recently I had the chance to see some of these spectacular waterfalls, but by no means all of the ones in that compact geography. And that's okay, because it gives me a few more reasons to return.


Lower Rock Creek FallsIn the Rain.

External Links

Unaka Mountain Wilderness.

Unaka Mountain Zone.

Upper Rock Creek Falls


A brief video.

Lower Rock Creek Falls


A short video of the lower falls.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.