We were surprised on Mount Margaret

We were surprised on Mount Margaret

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 25, 2009
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Add Heading Here


Mount Margaret Summit


Redwic and I were looking for a simple mountain to knock off in the I-90 corridor so that we could get home quickly. Redwic had just come from Gannett Peak while I had just come from Rainier so it was time that we combined to find new lesser known peak of the I-90 corridor. We were looking for a summit that was not as well known and Mount Margaret fit the bill. This 5520 foot summit about 10 miles northeast of Hyak is fairly well known as a winter destination. Well let's check it out for summer.

When we got there there was only one car in the parking area and it appeared that the trail was right in the back of the parking area. So we headed on it a little ways up the trail. About a mile up the trail right next to a talus field we realized that this is clearly not the trail and turned back around and headed back into the parking area.

There we read the post on the parking area which clearly stated where the trail was. We went up the gated road which then turned into a very obvious trail. This part of the trip was uneventful except that the bugs were hounding us the whole time. :dizzy:

Once we past the turnoff to Margaret Lake we than continued about 0.3 miles past the first bootpath/trail to the summit of Mount Magaret and headed up another steep bootpath that leads to the saddle between the false and true summit of Mount Margaret. We noticed that it intersected another bootpath, so we decided to try that bootpath on the way back. Heading up the final little trail/bootpath was to the summit lead us to a pretty summit that had a combination of heather on the eastern side, and evergreen on the western side.

Mount Margaret Summit Views


The views here are very worthwhile, especially of Mount Stuart and the Teanaway to the east, Daniel and Hinman to the north, and my best friend Rainier to the south. The summit also had a great view of the three lakes below, which looked quiet refreshing. The summit must not be that popular because we were the only ones on it for the whole 45 minutes we were up there. Way different from Rainier but definitely very worthwhile and a great leg stretcher.

The Summit Views

Rainier from Margaret


On the way down we decided to take a bootpath to the false summit. Again great views to the east awaited us. Actually this bootpath was more of an established trail that for some reason was block off by a number of sticks. We enjoyed some more views and then headed on down. Heading down was uneventful except that we ran into another couple and talked about Rainier and Hood and Orizaba with them. Still though this is a very rewarding and beautiful hike and a great one to do in a crunch or with your family.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount MargaretTrip Reports