Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 46.12751°N / 8.01590°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 15, 2004
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall

Description:

We have exceeded the Weissmies 4017m: From the south to the west. South ridge up, west flank down. That is worth much.

Start in the Almageller Hut 2894m. On a footpath and path spoors, over boulders and debris to the historic mountain pass ‘Zwischenbergpass 3268m’. Now one goes to the north to the Rottal-glacier, where the south ridge begins. Over the south ridge highly to the Point 3972m, climbing in the 2 degree. From the point 3972m the final comes, over a last and somewhat exposed ridge on the summit of Weissmies 4017m.

We descended over the normal route: the west ridge/west flank. This route is technically not with difficulty, BUT there are enormous and deep crevasses. The Trift-glacier it „tore strongly apart“ - rope up.

Thus, Weissmies is rather a simple 4000er. But the glacier is dangerous. In principle each 4000er has its malice and dangers. Rope up is important.
With questions or unclarity, I help you gladly.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Facts:

> Route: Almageller hut 2894m (SAC Niesen) - Zwischenbergen-pass 3268m - south-ridge - Weissmies 4017m - west-ridge - Trift glacier - Weissmies hut 2726m (SAC Olten)

> Difficulty: WS (AD) / III. Route No. 556 & 555.

> Time required: 4 hours for the ascent.

> Guide book: "Hochtouren im Wallis" from Hermann Biner or "Clubführer Walliser Alpen No.5 vom Strahlhorn zum Simplon" from Maurice Brandt.

> Link to Weissmies 4017m: >www.weissmies-tour.ch


Written and climbed by Cyrill
If you have any question, do not hesitate to contact me: cyrill74@gmx.ch

Weissmies 4017mWeissmies 4017m
Weissmies 4017mWeissmies 4017m

Accommodations


Almageller Hut 2894m - Link to Almageller Hut

Weissmies Hut 2726m - Link to Weissmies Hut

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
reinhard2

reinhard2 - Nov 29, 2008 2:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Inspiring subject

but a bit poor as trip report - it is more like a route description (and as such it holds quite good infos).
I also would appreciate more detailed information in the picture captions.

Cheers
Reinhard

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Weissmies GROUPTrip Reports
 
WeissmiesTrip Reports