Weissmieshütten

Weissmieshütten

Page Type Page Type: Hut/Campground
Location Lat/Lon: 46.08381°N / 7.58403°E
Additional Information County: Valais
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 8944 ft / 2726 m

Overview

Weissmieshut and JägihornHut with Jägihorn at the background
Detail of a Sleeping Room at the hutDetail of a room at the hut

Just over the Valais village of Saas Grund there are the buildings of the Weissmieshütten, at 2,726 metres high. The first hut was build as an Hotel in 1894. Later, in 1924, it was ruled by the Olten section of the Swiss Alpine Club (SAC). The second new hut was build next to the old one. Both houses were renovated in the 90's and are still ruled by the SAC Olten section.

The hut has place for 146 people. It has a full service of food and drinks during the time it's open. The sleeping rooms, bathrooms and dependencies are spacious. In winter it has an open 'Winterraum' (winter refuge) with beds and blankets for 14 people, kitchen, oven, S.O.S telephone, firs-aid kit and emergency supplies.

The water at the hut is drinkable.






The hut is the ideal base for the mountains of the Weissmies'Group:

- Weissmies (4,023 m)
- Lagginhorn (4,010 m)
- Fletschhorn (3,996 m)
- Jägihorn (3,206 m) which has a Via-Ferrata/Klettersteig circuit.

The hut is open from mid June till end September.

Access

The route's description to the hut will come here.

Contact

Detail of one of the sleeping rooms of the hutDetail of the 'Matratzenlagen'


Ruled by the Olten section of the Swiss Alpine Club, the hüttenwart (caretaker of the hut) are Mr. Armin & Mrs. Irma Anthamatten, who live at Saas Grund. Their telephone nr. is: +41 (0)27 9572481. You can phone this number during the winter (when the hut is closed) to get information about the hut or to make reservation for the summer. The family Anthamatten does not speak english.

The ownwer of the hut is Mr. Philipp Stampfli, from Kappel. Tel. nr.: +41 (0)62 2160039

The telephone nr. of the hut itself is: +41 (0)27 9572554. There can be called from mid June till end September, when the hut is open.




Climbs and treks from the hut

Material Room of the WeissmieshütteMaterial and shoes room
Several treks and climbs can be started from this hut:

- Weissmies (4,023 m): 4-5 hours to the top over the normal route, passing by the lift station of Hohsaas (at 3/4 of hour from hut).

- Lagginhorn (4,010 m): 4-5 hours from the hut over the normal route.

- Fletschhorn (3,996 m): 4 hours from the hut to the summit.

- Jägihorn (3,206 m): 3 1/2 hours Via-Ferrata (Klettersteig), to the top. Or in just 2 hours over the path on the west ridge.




- Hohsaas lift station (from Saas Grund's Unter den Berg) is 3/4 of an hour away from the hut in ascend (30' in descend). A very comfortable way to reach the hut
- The midden station of the lift, called 'Kreuzbodem', (from Saas Grund) is about 3/4 of an hour to the hut in ascend (30'in descend).
- Saas Grund is 2 1/2 hours to the Weissmieshütten.



Cartography and GPS

Dinning Room of the WeissmieshütteDinning and guests room of the hut


Landeskarten der Schweiz 1:25.000 Saas 1329 and Simplon 1309

GPS: easting 641665 northing 110413 (datum WGS 84 ~ Swiss grind)




Links

Here will come some interesting links for Weissmieshütten

Other information

Sunrise from Weissmies HuttePanorama view from the hut. Photo courtesy of member Ferranmic
The glaciers around the Lagginhorn are a very good terrein to practice glacier progression techniques, crevasse rescue and steep snow pitching. A big boulder close to the hut (a little bit further than the boulder with a cross on its top) offers the possibility to do some sportclimbing and to practice with the ropes for prusiking and other rope techniques.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
JanVanGenk

JanVanGenk - Dec 9, 2007 5:48 am - Hasn't voted

Links

Swiss Alpine Club (SAC) Olten (information about the hut and the routes, in German)
Saas Grund (information about the the area, maps, huts etc.)

John Climber

John Climber - Dec 10, 2007 5:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks

I'll add these links...to the page....Bedankt!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Weissmies GROUPHuts & Campgrounds
 
WeissmiesHuts & Campgrounds