Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Additional Information Elevation: 10351 ft / 3155 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


The main route up welirang starts from Tretes in East Java. Tretes is a hill resort set at about 1100m and is about 1 hours drive from Surabaya. You can get a taxi from the airport using a fixrd price schedule. Many hotels and losmens in Tretes and lots of food. Lots of visitors on the weekend but wekdays very quiet. The trail to Welirang is also the main trail to Arjuna and most of what is written for Mt Arjuna can also be used for Welirang. Welirang peak is unique in Indonesia as it is bare, Just stones and rock. A real moonscape. Quite unreal. Definitely worth the walk.

Getting There


Start from Tretes in East Java and hire a guide/porter or someone who knows the way and the water sources.
Another trail leads in from Cangar to the South if you are staying in Selectar or Batu. Will add more on this route later.

The route from Tretes is wide and surfaced with rocks making it easier to go up than down. It is a long hot slog out. It is about 14km to the sulphur camp and the first source of good water.
There are two other resting points on the way up that have running water. Take plenty of drinking water. 3 liters at least.
The track has recently been damaged by the activities of the sulphur carriers bringing the sulphur from welirang down in wheeled carts. There are no turn offs and any branches will rejoin the main track. The dusty path is the shortest as it chops off the loops. Keep out of the way of the carriers because they can't stop very easily.

Red Tape


Not too much but you may be asked for some sort of park fees on the weekend. Less than 10,000 rps.
This is not a national park so not too much red tape or information available.
All hotels in Tretes will be able to get you a guide and porter.

When To Climb


Climable at all times but can be miserable in the wet season due to rain and lack of views. Like all Java mountains the dry season from April to November is the best time. It can rain at any time and sometimes the forest catches fire. Always cold over 2,500m due to humidity. Frosts not uncommon on clear nights in the open or in hollows.

Camping


For Welirang the main camp site is the Sulphur camp at Pondok Welirang. Ample water at this collection of huts. A bit 'grotty' for most but some flat spots above and below the main area. If you are climbing Arjuna as well you could follow the path leading off to the left (east) from the sulphur camp to a large flat grassy area 30 mins away. Small water source to the top (south)as you enter. Alternately load up with water and push on up to the saddle between Kembar I and II. No water there but a top spot. You will need the guide to pick out the way.

Miscellaneous Info


It is a long hike to go up and down Welirang in a day and have enough time to explore Welirang. We usually camp for two days and climb Welirang, Kembar I and II on the first day and Arjuna the second day before walking out.
More details on this mountain and several other Indonesian Peaks can be found at: www.groups.msn.com/javalava

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
David Donaldson

David Donaldson - Mar 19, 2005 7:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Welirang lies next door to Mt Arjuna and the main route up both these mountains is via Tretes in East Java. See Arjuna for further details

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Volcanoes of IndonesiaMountains & Rocks