West and East Spanish Pks frm the Saddle

West and East Spanish Pks frm the Saddle

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.37560°N / 104.9931°W
Additional Information Route Type: Loose-footed walkups
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From just before the little town/camp of Wahatoya, take the forest service jeep road south from the main road, and continue on it about 3 miles or so till it ends. This was a brand new trailhead in a newly declared wilderness area as of the summer of '03. Enough trees were cleared to imagine a parking area, and theoretically you can make it in a 2wd, but it's quite primitive, and well worth it for that reason.

Route Description

The well maintained trail to the saddle is flat and easy, a mile or two with minimal gain. There's great camping along the way to the saddle proper, as well as East off the trail from the saddle. The East peak has something of a trail to start with, so is not only an easier hike, but easier to follow. The West Peak has no trail to speak of, so some bushwhacking skills are necessary to gain the ridge through the forest, and especially to get back down, but generally south uphill and generally north downhill will still pretty much cover it. Once up, it's a technically easy, though perhaps deceptively long, ridgewalk to the summit.

Essential Gear

Not a technical climb, though there are some cool chimneys along the way one might find tempting. Indeed, for an alternative that may preclude the summit, hike the streambed rather than the ridge from half a mile west of the saddle proper, and you'll find plenty of fairly dry waterfalls and walls to scramble around on for fun.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.