West Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.76100°N / 118.331°W
Additional Information Route Type: Class 3
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description


Hike up the Robinson Lake trail until you are right below Independence peak's west face and leave the trail and start slogging your way up the class 2 west face. This spot is around 10,000 ft along the trail. There are some use trails at first. You'll eventually want to head for a notch that is south of the summit. There are some class 3 moves going up to the notch - mainly to get around a large boulder. See the photo page, there is a picture where you can see the boulder in question. From the notch, continue at first on the west side of the ridge, but you'll drop down to the other side of the ridge very soon. Proceed along the ridge and up to the summit. There is more class 3 here.

Essential Gear


None required

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Aug 6, 2012 7:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Addition

The West Face route you want looks "reddish" from below (as opposed to a whitish scree slope just to the south). From the notch, I found the most natural way to go was to immediately get on the north side of the ridge and proceed to the summit.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.