Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 48.37500°N / 121.325°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 23, 2005
Climbed the West Face via the Bluff & Cliff Lakes approach. See additions and corrections to the route description. The abandoned spur road has deteriorated over the years so you can't drive all the way to the fisherman's trail. The trail can be hard to follow at times, but it is in slightly better shape than it was a week ago. The trail has some brush and downed logs, but they are not horrible unless you lose the trail. Good camp sites at either Bluff or Cliff Lake. Cliff Lake is more scenic. One could bivy in the basins beyond Cliff Lake, or on the large flat slabs and snow just below the West Face. Didn't need the rope but almost needed the crampons: The large glacial remnant west of the summit block has to be crossed and, while gentle in angle, it could get very icy later in the summer. Great views; nice high country; feels remote because it takes work to get there. Chaval is only climbed 3-4 times a year.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount ChavalTrip Reports