West Ridge Trailhead

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.64890°N / 71.9139°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (Walk Up)
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From Mt. Cardigan (7/12/03).


VIA TRAILHEADS AT CARDIGAN STATE PARK: From I-89. Get off of exit 10 and head east on Route 4 towards Enfield and Canaan. Once in Canaan make a left onto Route 118 towards Orange and Rumney. At roughly a half mile north of Canaan make a right at the Cardigan State Park sign. Bear right after crossing over a stream roughly two and a half miles. The road to the parking area will be on your left, roughly a mile past the creek (closed in winter and early spring).


Route Description



Approaching the summit from...


West Ridge Trail
Distance: 1.5 miles one way (2.5 in winter due to closed parking area)
Elevation Gain: 1250


This trail is the most direct trail to the summit of Mt. Cardigan and it is the easiest trail to the summit. The trail starts at a moderate pitch from the parking area. At about 0.5 mile it intersects with the South Ridge Trail and heads left. The trail continues at it's moderate pace through thick woods until it reachs the A waterfall at about one mile. Roughly 1000 feet after the waterfall the trail breaks the timberline that was caused by the major forest fire. The climb then continues over much more open terrain with moderate and some steeper pitchs (Though none of them are class 2). At 1.5 miles the reachs the summit fire tower with incredible views on all sides.

Essential Gear

An erratic just below the...


In summer only hiking gear is nessesary. However in winter crampons, trekking poles and snowshoes are required for this hike. The top of the mountain is highly exposed so dress for higher winds and colder tempuratures.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.