West Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 19.56100°N / 103.609°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 3rd class
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Walk up the road from the staging area until within 3 switchbacks from the top. Here the trail leaves the road on the right side, and descends slightly and then contours the ridge upon which the proteccion civil facility is constructed. Once past the toe of this volcanic ridge, the West Ridge will be visible. A shrine with a small statue and a couple of plaques will be passed on the right (on the climber's left) enroute to the ridge. A steep ash-covered slope leads to the beginning of the ridge proper.

Route Description

The West Ridge leads directly to the higher of the two summits. Stay on the spine of the ridge until you reach the large metal cross on the top. The rock is more slippery than most, consider this on the 3rd class sections.

Essential Gear

If you have sticky rubber approach shoes, bring them. Sticky rubber is not necessary, but it makes the climb nicer. It can easily be done in a pair of hikers or tennies.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.