West Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.40800°N / 105.71°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1-2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the "Getting There" section of the main page. The only two accessable points by road are from the Trail Ridge and Fall River Roads. You can pick almost any point along the road to start depending on snow conditions.

Route Description


Follow the directions in the "Getting There" section of the main page. The only two accessible points by road are from the Trail Ridge and Fall River Roads. You can pick almost any point along the road to start.
This route climbs the west ridge of Sundance Mountain. From either starting at Fall River Road or Trail Ridge, they both encompass about the same route.
Trail Ridge:
From the road hike until you reach a line directly southwest of Sundance's summit. From here you can see the west ridge clearly on the horizon. This will be your route. Hike a little behind the ridge to stay out of the sometimes gusty winds but don't overshoot. On the northern side of the peak are some very good sized cliffs. The best route would be just to the north side of the west ridge on a direct line. The elevation gain varies depending on where you start from the road. The total round trip is about 2 miles in taking the ridge.
Fall River:
From a point on the road, just beyond the Alluvial Fan, you can see Sundance’s summit and the Trail Ridge. You’ll have to cross the small valley from the road and start what is a lot steeper and rougher ascent of Sundance Mountain from the north side. Your back will be to Mounts Chapin, Chiquita, and Ypsilon. You’ll gain about 2,500ft. in this ascent. From the valley you’ll want to head just to the west of the peak to the low point in the ridge at just over 11,000ft. After gaining the ridge, head east on what is the west ridge and follow the ridgeline to the summit. There is less exposure on this route to the wind because you’ll be below the ridgeline for most of the trip. Roundtrip mileage is about 5-6 miles.
Views extend in all directions to the Longs Peak massif, the great plains and foothills, the Never Summer Range, and the Mummy Range.

Essential Gear


Good conditions: trekking poles, good boots, extra food and clothing
In winter conditions, all snow and ice gear is needed. All climbs are treated as technical climbs in winter conditions.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.