West Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.27080°N / 118.104°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is the principal route used by hikers to ascend 5,957 foot Mt. Lawlor in the front range of Southern California’s San Gabriel Mountains. It starts from the Red Box Ranger Station trailhead. The route described here is 5.8 miles roundtrip with about 1,300 feet of gain.

Getting There

From the 210 Freeway, exit at Angeles Crest Hwy (SR 2) and go north. At 9.5 miles, you will come to the Clear Creek Information Station and the junction with Angeles Forest Highway. Continue straight on SR 2 about 4.5 miles to the junction with the Mount Wilson Road at the Red Box Ranger Station. This is your trailhead and you will find plenty of parking here.

Route Description

From the Red Box Ranger Station trailhead, cross the Angeles Crest Highway and go northeast along the highway for about 100 feet. The Barley Flats Fire Road comes up on your left. Take the fire road about ¾ of a mile to a trail junction also on the left. As you ascend on this route, look southeast and you will get some nice views of Mt. Wilson, San Gabriel Peak and Mt. Disappointment.
San Gabriel Peak (6,161 ), San Gabriel Front RangeSan Gabriel Peak looking southeast from trail to Strawberry Saddle
Mt. Disappointment (5,960 ) San Gabriel Front RangeMt. Disappointment from trail to Strawberry Saddle
Saddle Between Strawberry Peak and Mt. LawlorSign at saddle between Strawberry Peak and Mt. Lawlor


From the junction, follow the trail left and in about ¼ mile you will come to the bottom of Mt. Lawlor’s south ridge. Continue on the trail past the south ridge as it contours around Lawlor.

At 2.3 miles from the start you will reach the signed saddle between Lawlor and Strawberry Peak (elev. 5,200’)
Lawlor-Strawberry SaddleLooking down at Strawberry-Lawlor saddle near beginning of West Ridge Route


From the saddle, turn right and head up the use trail on Lawlor’s west ridge. The sign says that it is 0.6 miles to the summit.
On Mt. Lawlor s West RidgeOn West Ridge
Rock Outcroppings on Mt. Lawlor s West RidgeRock outcroppings on West Ridge





The ridge is moderately steep, and, to keep it interesting, it has a few rock outcroppings to negotiate.

San Gabriel Peak (left) and Mt. Disappointment (right) from Mt. Lawlor NW RidgeSan Gabriel Peak (L)and Mt. Disappointment(R) seen from Lawlor's west ridge



There are some great views along the way.

View West from Mt. Lawlor s West RidgeView West from West Ridge


[img:242055:aligncenter:medium:View West from West Ridge]

Essential Gear

None. The route can be done in trail runners. There are no water sources along the way so take what you need.

Other Information

USGS Topo 7.5 Chilao Flat

External Links

Angeles National Forest

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.