West Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.47686°N / 121.519°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is a quick and easy classic scramble with little more than 600 feet of elevation gain from the Lassen Peak trail head. Start early, start late but start. The views are great from the summit all around as you get a great up close view of Lassen to the east and a fine view down the ridge to the west of Ski Heil, Pilot, Diller and Brokeoff. There is cliff band to the south of this peak and a class 3+ climb from the north. The east ridge is a tallus and scree slog which leaves the west ridge as the easy access point for this peak. Within a few minutes of leaving the parking lot you can gain the ridge between Ski Heil and Eagle and begin a fun scramble to reach this mellow summit.

Getting There

Follow the directions to the main Lassen Summit trail head and instead of following the Lassen trail, stay just left of it for 50 yards and angle left following the light use trail west through the cirque. Eagle Peak is immediately in view in front of you. Follow just south of the peak skirting the cliff band and gain the saddle between Ski Heil and Eagle.

Route Description

There are a couple short gullies on the west side of the mountain and any of them will go easily. I close the one filled with a few downed trees which served as a visual reminder of my route. From the top of the gully just head straight up over the talus until you reach the summit.

Essential Gear

If you attempt this in the winter you would be wise to use crampons, axe and a belay system unless you are comfortable down climbing. You might also ski down the east ridge if coverage is sufficient. Otherwise dry weather conditions require no special gear.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.